What are White Goods?
White goods refer to electrical appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, ovens, washing machines, clothes driers, and the like. Since these are large appliances and may take up large amount of space in landfills, we have to understand that they have a disposal scheme that is different from that of the regular waste.
Why do white goods have a different disposal process?
- In making these appliances, a significant amount of greenhouse gases are emitted. So, there is a need to exhaust all options(giving to a relative or friend, donating, or have it repaired) before disposing of white goods in order to protect the environment and conserve our resources.
- These large items, aside from filling up landfills, are comprised mostly of scrap metals that can be recycled.
- Some old white goods, such as refrigerators and freezers, can contain hazardous substances such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) that are harmful to the ozone layer. Thus, CFCs must properly be disposed and be handled by a certified technician.
- Those who really need to dispose of their white goods, when they are no longer in working condition or they can no longer be repaired, must follow the correct disposal processes to avoid illegal dumping of these appliances.
Things to remember when buying white goods to limit its disposal
- Buy appliances that are durable, with high ratings, and that have a long warranty duration. This helps ensure that you will be able to use them for a long period of time. Properly maintain them to keep them in good working condition.
- Only purchase the right size of appliance for your needs.
- There are brands that are especially made for recycling schemes. Look for these items in the market and for those that are eco-friendly, such as energy and water efficient appliances.
- Before purchasing any white goods, be sure to enquire about their waste disposal and what the company’s policy is regarding such. By doing this, you are responsibly taking your part in the efficient disposal of the item once it is past its expected life span.
How to dispose of white goods
- If your appliance is still in good shape, you can re-sell it. You could also give it to someone you know who may find it useful or donate it to local charities.
- There are also collection services offered by local councils, you can contact them to learn more about what’s available in your area. If they do not have such service, just ask them where the local resource recovery centre is for efficient recycling.
- Second-hand dealers accept white goods and may even pay for you for them as long as they are still in a fair condition and can be resold.
- Some retailers of new appliances remove the old items you have when they delivered the new item. However, you may also be charged for the removal service which will be included in the delivery fee. Remember to ask the company or retailer about this service before buying the product.
- You can hand them over to scrap metal recyclers in your locality. Often, they also accept white goods.
There is a need to inculcate in the minds of home owners that these white goods need special consideration for disposable. This is true even if there are several cheap appliances available in the market. Efficient recycling process and responsible waste removal for these goods must be observed to conserve resources and help the environment.
Get help with waste removal in Newcastle
Get Newcastle skip bins for hire for your waste removal needs. With the use of our premier skip bins and efficient services, you are ensured that you are disposing your waste responsibly. Talk to us now and learn more about our skip bins for hire and rubbish removal services!